Friday, January 25, 2008

Temporary Tattoos


The New York Times had an interesting article today about the resurgence of
temporary tattoos, something that resonated with some ideas I've been having
lately. When I was younger I considered getting a tattoo, but decided against
it as I wasn't sure about how I would feel about it as I aged. Temporary tattoos
seem like the perfect alternative. You can display your personality, but aren't
tied into one design, allowing you to mix it up a bit depending on how you feel
from day to day.


I used to get temporary tattoos all the time as a kid at the fair and what not. I
remember the designs being pretty silly for the most part and the quality being
not so great. About 4 years ago I was nostalgically looking for them again, but
couldn't find much beyond the usual kids motifs or the hot topic type tat. Since
temporary tattoos are back in fashion maybe the selections have expanded
somewhat. Tinsley Transfers seems to do a lot of the tattoo work for movies.
They have a pretty cool selection of stick on tattoos like the vintage Peacock
above.


I also like some of the options from bodygraphics including this lion head.



These mirror image tattoos might look neat displayed with one on each of
your shoulder blades.



Some other temporary options include airbrushing or having an artist paint
the tattoo directly onto your skin though these are probably quite a bit more
expensive (Temptu New York).



Another maybe slightly crazy option are tattoo sleeves which you just slip on and
wear the way you would wear any sort of arm warmer.

No comments: